We have a few tips on storage from the Compass team, in order to make your self storage experience as easy as possible 🙂
Whether you give us a call or stop in at your local Compass Storage location, our team is waiting to help you figure out what you need- whether it's choosing the right size unit, how many boxes to buy, or if you should just purchase a moving kit- we're here for you!
Check out the below and let us know if you have any additional questions. Keep a look out for our next blog post- Compass's Packing Tips 🙂
- Store items you'll need most often at the front of the unit.
- When you pack your storage unit, create a center aisle for access to all items.
- Do not place boxes directly on concrete floors. Use pallets or skids to allow air flow around and under items.
- If you're storing tables and other furniture, remove the legs. To save space, store tabletops and sofas on end.
- Old photographs tend to curl over time. To keep them flat place them between two pieces of cardboard and tape the cardboard together.
- Drain gasoline and oil from lawn mowers and other items with small engines.
- State law determines what may be stored. You alone control access to your storage space. We prohibit the storage of firearms, illicit drugs or drug paraphernalia, live animals, perishables, liquids, explosives, flammable liquids and fuels and toxic materials.
- Use trash cans to store shovels, hoes, rakes and other items with long handles.
- Mattresses should be covered and stored flat on level surfaces.
- Use protective covers and treat wood surfaces before storing.
- To prevent rust wipe all metal surfaces with a rag containing a few drops of machine oil.
- Pack blankets, draperies, and dress clothes on the hanger in a wardrobe box.
- Always use high quality locks on your unit. Locks are available for sale—just ask your site manager for a recommendation.
- Items sensitive to humidity should always be stored in a climate controlled unit.
- Whenever possible, place dressers and tables top-to-top to save space.
The Compass Team